A Barista at the Passenger retail stores is expected to be a leader and a mentor. The barista is confident in who they are and what they are serving, yet humble in attitude and speech. They will be fully capable of preparing beverages on the cafe menu as well as knowledgeable about all of the products being offered in the store. Passenger Baristas will uphold the highest level of customer service and excellence in their work.
- Be available to customers and perceive their needs in advance of them asking.
- Receive orders, give recommendations, prepare beverages, and guide retail sales.
- Guide customers through their entire experience from flow of the space, drink ordering, pick up, and any other questions or needs they may have.
- Maintain a respectful and positive work environment for all team employees.
- Observe all daily/weekly cleaning lists.
- Observe and uphold company policies.
- Display an affinity for Passenger’s products, core values, and company culture.
- Uphold quality while finding the most efficient way to do tasks.
- Adhere to ServSafe policies to ensure Passenger passes inspection.
- Ability to remain calm and respectful in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a positive and constructive manner.
- Ability to ensure adherence of established procedures and quality standards.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently with a strong sense of urgency in an environment with continual noise (customers, music over cafe speakers, etc.)
- Ability to interact socially in a positive manner with customers.
- Ability to work in a physical space that also offers a variety of foods.
- Extensive knowledge of all Passenger products, production information, sourcing, etc.
- Good communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making abilities with an attentiveness to detail.
- Leadership and organizational skills with the propensity to prioritize and delegate.
- Proficient mathematical skills for operating the cash register and handling money.
- Reports hazards and/or injuries as soon as they occur.
- Reliable transportation to work.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Exposure to high temperatures when using the espresso machine.
- Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing), 32-40 degrees Fahrenheit (refrigerators), >90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling, and repetitive motion.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to use tools and equipment, including box cutters, hot water kettles, ladders, and other potentially dangerous machinery.
Desired Work Experience:
- Prior barista experience
- Strong sales or customer service experience or relevant interest
Reports to: Director of Retail
Note: Passenger is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of our city. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and the LGBTQ community. The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position.