Director of Education
The Director of Education occupies a multifaceted role: overseeing the management and evolution of Passenger’s educational program, serving as the lead trainer for Passenger’s retail team and wholesale partners, promoting professional development and community-building opportunities for Passenger staff, and collaborating with colleagues to organize public educational events. Along with the other members of Passenger’s Leadership Team, the Director of Education participates in top-level strategic planning and decision making conversations, supporting Passenger’s continued growth and shaping its ongoing pursuit of B-corp values.
- Refine and implement a world class barista education program that effectively communicates Passenger’s core values, culture of hospitality, and meticulous quality standards.
- Manage and execute education and training for Passenger baristas, and Wholesale partner baristas on an on-going basis, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Director of Retail and the Head of Roasting & QC to ensure all relevant quality standards are consistently met by Passenger retail baristas.
- Collaborate with the Director of Sourcing and the Head of Roasting & QC to organize and host tastings and other educational events for Retail staff, Wholesale partners, and the general public.
- Contribute to the on-going development of educational digital content to provide outstanding online training support for remote wholesale partners and effectively engage online subscribers and retail customers.
- Build a professional development program, as a complement to the core barista education, designed to empower Passenger team members to continually grow and develop new industry-relevant skills.
- Create and execute, in collaboration with other Passenger team members, two public Educational Events a year, to positively engage the local community and broader specialty coffee industry.
- Seek opportunities to empower others through education. Embrace opportunities to share knowledge, supporting Passenger staff and members of Passenger’s Wholesale community in the pursuit of professional growth and personal enrichment.
- Work a consistent minimum of 40 hours per week with flexibility of schedule for busy times, holidays, weekends, or special events.
- Be an experienced and confident barista modeling professionalism, efficiency, and skillful consistency in all aspects of coffee, espresso, and tea service.
- Regularly work bar shifts at Passenger retail locations, staying connected with the team, modeling best practices, and monitoring quality standards.
- Exhibit genuine care for others and naturally perform thoughtful hospitality.
- Cultivate a comprehensive knowledge of Passenger’s core values, sourcing program, menus, products, and service standards.
- Foster learning environments that are safe, welcoming, inclusive, and equally supportive of all identities and learning styles.
- Possess an infectious passion for sharing coffee knowledge and best practices with others.
- Refine and update Passenger’s educational curriculum and accompanying materials.
- Create and update Teacher’s Guides for all Passenger classes and training modules.
- Attend a minimum of one calibration cupping with the Passenger coffee department every month.
- Maintain a close connection to the broader Specialty Coffee community, keeping aware of current trends and industry standards.
- Outstanding communication skills. Ability to clearly present educational content in a variety of contexts, whether in-person or remote.
- Excellent written, editorial, and project management skills.
- Knowledge and interest in B-Corp practices; using a for-profit business to solve a social problem via social enterprise.
- Own a cell phone with the ability to call, text, email, and support work-related applications.
- Be a respectable citizen of the city or neighboring town within a 30 mile radius of HQ.
- Proficiency with email, Slack, Google Docs, and operations-related applications.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Commons Co family of ventures.
- Reliable transportation to work with the ability to travel within neighboring states for wholesale partner education needs.
- If driving, must have a valid driver’s license and submit a Motor Vehicle report before time of hire.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling, and repetitive motion.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Desired Work Experience
- 4+ years Specialty Coffee and/or Tea experience
- 2+ years experience in Training or Education