Director of Tea
The Director of Tea sets the tone for all aspects of Passenger’s tea program: heading up tea sourcing and supply chain management, maintaining and developing supplier partnerships, thoughtfully curating and presenting a world class tea menu, serving as lead tea educator, and contributing to the continued development of tea presentation, quality consistency, and service at Passenger retail locations.
Along with the other members of Passenger’s Leadership Team, the Director of Tea participates in top-level strategic planning and decision making conversations, supporting Passenger’s continued growth and shaping its ongoing pursuit of B-corp values.
- Serve as buyer and point of contact for Passenger’s tea suppliers, curating a world class menu of teas for Passenger retail locations, wholesale partners, and online offerings.
- Develop new tea supplier relationships and producer partnerships as needed.
- Manage Passenger tea supply chains to ensure menu stability and quality consistency.
- Collaborate with the Production Team to monitor and maintain all product and packaging inventories relevant to the tea menu.
- Maintain and refine quality control protocols for all teas and related products.
- Oversee ongoing project management and content creation for current and future tea packaging.
- Serve as Passenger’s in-house tea expert and source of all tea-related information: creating product descriptions, brewing recommendations and guides, educational blog posts and videos, and marketing and social media copy for relevant menu promotions.
- Head up all tea education and training for Passenger staff and wholesale partners.
- Host periodic tastings and educational events for Passenger staff, wholesale partners, and the local Lancaster community.
- Collaborate with the Director of Retail to refine and deliver extraordinary tea experiences for guests in Passenger’s retail spaces.
- Contribute vision and leadership to support the development of future Passenger tea concepts and retail experiences.
- Work a consistent minimum of 40 hours per week with flexibility of schedule for busy times, holidays, weekends, or special events.
- Cultivate a comprehensive knowledge of Passenger’s core values, sourcing ethics, menus, products, and service standards.
- Foster learning environments that are safe, welcoming, inclusive, and equally supportive of all identities and learning styles.
- Possess an infectious passion for sharing tea knowledge and best practices with others.
- Refine and update Passenger’s educational tea curriculum and accompanying materials.
- Maintain a close connection to the broader Specialty Tea community, keeping aware of current trends and industry standards.
- Outstanding communication skills. Ability to clearly present educational content in a variety of contexts, whether in-person or remote.
- Excellent written, editorial, and project management skills.
- Knowledge and interest in B-Corp practices; using a for-profit business to solve a social problem via social enterprise.
- Own a cell phone with the ability to call, text, email, and support work-related applications.
- Be a respectable citizen of the city or neighboring town within a 30 mile radius of HQ.
- Proficiency with email, Slack, Google Docs, and operations-related applications.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Commons Co family of ventures.
- Reliable transportation to work with the ability to travel within neighboring states for wholesale partner education needs.
- If driving, must have a valid driver’s license and submit a Motor Vehicle report before time of hire.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Hand use: single grasping, fine manipulation, pushing and pulling, and repetitive motion.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Desired Work Experience
- 2+ years Specialty Tea experience
- 2+ years leadership experience
Salary Range: $52,000 - $65,000
Reports to: Crystal Weaver, COO
Note: Passenger is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of our city. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and the LGBTQ community. The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position.