Roasting Assistant (part-time)
The Roasting Assistant reports to the Head of Roasting and Quality Control (QC) and is responsible for part-time production roasting and general assistance to the Head of Roasting and QC, as well as the Production Roaster. The Assistant Roaster will help with weekly trips to Passenger’s off-site freezer facility to collect green coffee as directed. They may be asked to participate in weekly production cuppings and will assist the roasting team with on-going roaster cleaning and maintenance as well as general cleaning and organization of Plum St. roasting areas. Expansion to full time hours, possibly including weekends, will be considered based on roast volume demands and performance.
- Be a respectable citizen of the city or neighboring town within a 30 mile radius of HQ.
- Own a cell phone with the ability to call, text, email, and support work-related applications.
- Work a minimum of 20-30 hours per week (with potential to include weekends).
- Proficiency with email, Google Suite and operations-related applications.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate in verbal and written formats.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a positive and constructive manner.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making abilities with an attentiveness to detail.
- Excellent general coffee knowledge.
- Extremely detail oriented, derives satisfaction from long hours of focused, task based work, while maintaining quality and consistency of roasting and QC protocols.
- Knowledge of and interest in B-Corp practices
- Intentional about decreasing waste and any negative environmental impacts.
- Must be able to lift 50-75 pounds.Own a cell phone with the ability to call, text, email, and support work-related applications.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.Good communication skills.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Occasional Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to use warehouse equipment, including forklift, handcarts, pallet jacks, and ladders.
Desired Work Experience
- Minimum 1 year working in specialty coffee (retail, production, roasting, etc.).
- Minimum 1 year roasting on large volume production roasting machinery preferred but not required.
Primary - Head of Roasting and Quality Control
Secondary - Production Roaster
Note: Passenger is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of our city. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and the LGBTQ community. The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position.