The Roasting Assistant reports to the Production Roaster and is primarily responsible for assistance with production roasting as well general and ongoing projects related to roasting operations including roaster cleaning and maintenance. They are the primary and ongoing assistant for weekly green coffee pickup and offloading runs to our off-site freezer facility. The Roasting Assistant will be invited to participate in weekly Quality Control cuppings as the roasting schedule allows.
- Production roasting on 15 & 35 kg Loring and/or 5kg Proaster machines, as directed by Production Roaster or Head Roaster.
- Fulfillment of rollover-to-bag production duties for Reserve and Education lots.
- Assistance with weekly machine maintenance on Loring and Proaster machines.
- Accompany the Head Roaster on weekly trips to the off-site freezer facility to assist with green coffee pickup and delivery to the roastery.
- Assistance with preparation, clean up, and data collection at weekly QC cuppings.
- Participation in QC cuppings, if roasting has completed for the day.
- General tasks related to roasting operations and green coffee inventory management.
- Be a respectable citizen of the city or neighboring town within a 30 mile radius of HQ.
- Own a cell phone with the ability to call, text, email, and support work-related applications.
- Work a minimum of 10-20 hours per week, with weekend availability as needed.
- Proficiency with email, Google Suite and operations-related applications.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate in verbal and written formats.
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a positive and constructive manner.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making abilities with an attentiveness to detail.
- General coffee knowledge.
- Extremely detail oriented, derives satisfaction from continuous hours of focused, task based work, while maintaining quality and consistency of roasting and QC protocols.
- Knowledge of and interest in B-Corp practices
- Intentional about decreasing waste and any negative environmental impacts.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Must be able to lift 50-80 pounds, and able to lift up to 160 pounds repeatedly (with a teammate) multiple times, in a single day.
- Freezer Run: Must be able to lift 50-80 pounds, and able to lift up to 160 pounds repeatedly (with a teammate) multiple times, in a single day.
- In an 8-hour work day: standing/walking 6-8 hours.
- Work requires the following motions: bending, twisting, squatting and reaching.
- Exposure to FDA approved cleaning chemicals.
- Occasional Exposure to temperatures: <32 degrees Fahrenheit (freezing)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to use warehouse equipment, including forklift, handcarts, pallet jacks, and ladders.
Desired Work Experience
- Minimum 1 year working in specialty coffee (retail, production, roasting, etc.).
Starting at $17.50/hr
Note: Passenger is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of our city. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, and the LGBTQ community. The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. This document does not reflect all job duties or requirements for every position. Requirements build as one progresses through the job levels, so any job duties required at a lower level may be required at the higher level in addition to the duties listed for that higher level. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business conditions, departmental or geographic location, and/or needs for the particular position.